- Tobacco Control
- NC Smoke Free Restaurants & Bars Law – On January 2, 2010, a law went into effect prohibiting smoking in restaurants and bars in North Carolina entitled an ACT TO PROHIBIT SMOKING IN CERTAIN PUBLIC PLACES AND CERTAIN PLACES OF EMPLOYMENT (S.L 2009-27) referred to as the NC Smoke-free Restaurants and Bars Law. If you observe or note a possible violation, please notify the owner or manager of the establishment. They are responsible for compliance and are required to direct a person who is smoking to extinguish the lighted tobacco product.
- Tobacco related ordinances in New Hanover County
New Hanover County Smoking & Vaping Ordinance
(effective February 1, 2021)
On Monday, November 16, 2020, the New Hanover County Board of Commissioners voted to implement an ordinance mirroring a Health and Human Services Board rule prohibiting the use of combustible tobacco and e-cigarette in New Hanover County, effective February 1, 2021.
The ordinance aligns the expectations of vaping with traditional cigarette smoking in most public places, and protects residents from unwanted inhalation of second hand smoke and e-cigarette vapors. Areas where smoking and vaping will be prohibited include county, town and city buildings, vehicles and grounds, and public places like restaurants, bars and entertainment venues.
View the full ordinance here and a detailed list of where smoking and vaping is prohibited below.
Visit our Smoke & Vaping Ordinance page here for educational materials, cessation resources and printable signage to assist with implementation of the new ordinance.
Smoking/Vaping Permitted as of February 1, 2021
Smoking/Vaping Prohibited as of February 1, 2021
- Personal residence
- Personal vehicle
- Designated areas of unenclosed sections in restaurants and bars.
- Privately owned unenclosed areas (business parking lot, business patio, etc.)
- Smoking/E-cigarette shop
- Cigar bar
- Designated smoking/vaping guest room in a lodging establishment
- Private club
- Movie, TV, theater or other live production set, only for the actor portraying smoking/vaping
- A public area at such time group therapeutic rehabilitation is being conducted
- County, Town and City buildings
- County, Town and City vehicles
- Any County, Town and City grounds, except where expressly permitted
- County, Town and City parks, playgrounds, athletic field and trails except where expressly permitted
- Bus stops on County, Town or City grounds
- Public Transportation
- Child Care Facilities
- Shopping Malls & Retail Stores
- Polling Places
- Public Restrooms
- Restaurants and Bars (except where expressly permitted in unenclosed areas)
- Galleries, Libraries and Museums
- Theaters, Entertainment and Sports Arenas
- Gaming facilities including Internet Sweepstakes
- Lobbies, hallways and common areas in multi-unit residential facilities (apartment buildings, retirement facilities, nursing homes, etc.)
- Offices and commercial establishments where the public is invited or permitted.
*This rule would not apply to any property owned, leased or maintained by the State of North Carolina